[Dune-devel] Google summer of code 2013 (Deadline March 29)

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Tue Mar 19 18:18:15 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 02:45:29PM +0100, Christian Engwer wrote:
> I'm very much in favour of your proposal. I'd also volunteer to help.
>
> I setup a wiki (only for the core devs):
> http://users.dune-project.org/projects/soc2013/wiki/

Thanks a lot for the effort. I tried to restructure this a little.

The deadline for an application is March 29, 2013.

As I did not get any feedback from other developers yet, I currently have
Christian and myself listed as admins and available mentors. I think,
that we would need at least 3 more people willing and able (time-wise)
to serve as mentors. Core developers are of course a first option but
other heavy contributors are very welcome, too.

If you are willing to contribute as a mentor, please yell here and add
yourself in the Wiki.

There is now a list of questions that we have to answer in our
application at
<http://users.dune-project.org/projects/soc2013/wiki/Questions_from_Google>.
I will try to answer them until Monday. This will give others time to
reiterate my answers and fine-tune them.

The heart of our application will be our list of project
ideas
<http://users.dune-project.org/projects/soc2013/wiki/Project_Ideas>.
Students will have to able to fullfil these within 12 weeks and should
clearly see whether they have the abilities to work on them. More
information can be found at
<http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/making-your-ideas-page/>.
Of course GSOC is about programming, but that does not mean that there
can't be ideas where people need scientific skills. I think a few
entry level projects and in between some for top notch students is OK
as long as people are able to distinguish between them.

If you already posted some ideas, please elaborate a little bit about
them. Currently, I have no clue what most of them really mean.

For every project listed, there should be a responsible person that
also serves as mentor or another developer volunteering as a mentor.

Maybe we can polish the existing projects and add some new ones until
March 27?

Timeline:
Until March 25: Markus answers the questions of Google for review.
Until March 27: Contribute and finish the project ideas page.
Until March 28: 3 additional volunteers sign up as mentors.
March 28: Decision whether to apply or not

Let us see how that works out ;)

Cheers,

Markus

--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658