[Dune-devel] [GSoC2013][Proposal]Proposal for GSoC-2013

Anand Soni anand.92.soni at gmail.com
Sat May 4 18:42:18 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am Anand Soni, a third year undergraduate in the department of Computer
Science and Engineering, IIT Bombay, India. I submitted my GSoC proposal on
Google-Melange before 3rd May but I didn't do it on the mailing list. So,
here it is. I know its late but I submitted on Google Melange before the
deadline. I think submitting here is necessary.

*Personal Information*
------------------------------

   -

   *Full name*: Anand Soni
   -

   *Email adress*: anand.92.soni at gmail.com
   -

   *Brief background info*: I am Anand Soni, a third year undergraduate in
   the department of computer science and engineering at IIT Bombay, India.
   *I am well versed in C, C++, Python and Java programming. Besides, I
   also have good knowledge of Javascript, Matlab and Scilab. I am equally
   comfortable with Windows, Linux and Mac operating systems. I have a good
   experience in programming. I have completed various academic projects in
   programming and small-scale software development **such as: **Data
   Compression Utility, Discrete Event Simulation(Networks), Universal
   Asynchronous Reciever/Transmitter, Sudoku puzzle solver **and many
   others.** Also, I have done a programming course in **PLT-Scheme . **I
   love Mathematics. **I have completed the following courses in
   Mathematics at IIT Bombay: **Advanced Calculus, Linear Algebra,
   Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis and Discrete Mathematics.***
   *

   ***

*

Project Information
------------------------------

   -

   Project Title: Attach the PSurface library to ParaView.
   -

   Brief description in your own words: The major aim of this project is to
   link the Psurface C++ library to ParaView which can then be used to
   visualize Psurface data and to use the GUI options in ParaView to
   manipulate the surfaces, plots and mappings.
   -

   Detailed description. If applicable with an outline of the
   algorithm/development strategy: The project basically aims at opening a
   Psurface file in ParaView and then manipulate, view and drive results out
   of the plots/mappings. For this I divide the project into the following
   phases:
   -

   Phase One: Familiarize with the Psurface C++ code, data structure and
   ParaView. I will also learn about the Psurface surface simplification
   algorithm. I will discuss these with my mentor and design ideas that will
   guide my work for the summer.
   -

   Phase Two: I will figure out (in consultation with my mentor) the parts
   of Psurface library that need to be wrapped/written in Python as ParaView
   supports Python scripting extensively. I will write this part of the
   library in Python to make the further work easier.
   -

   Phase Three: In this phase I will start working on the next major task.
   This task is being able to read a Psurface object from a file into
   ParaView. This will be guided by my mentor. After reading the object, I
   will implement a ParaView filter for the surface simplification algorithm.
   The filter will be based on the VTK algorithm which will be written in a
   plugin with help from my mentor. Once, this is accomplished, we will be
   able to read and modify surfaces in ParaView.
   -

   Phase Four: Any leftover work and suggested code optimizations (if any)
   by my mentor will be completed in this last phase.
   -

   Development schedule including milestones:
   -

      27 May- 17 June: Preparatory Work. I will familiarize with my mentor.
      Will hold discussions with him regarding the algorithms/library I
      will work on. I will

      completely understand the C++ code for PSurface. I will also
learn working
      with

      ParaView and any new tool if suggested by my mentor. Phase one will
      be

      completed.
      -

      17 June- 29July: Phase twoto be completed. By this time I will have
      written the required/relevant Psurface library portion in Python. If
      not, then not much will

      be left by this time. I will also discuss further work to be done on
      this.
      -

      29July – 5September: Phase three shall be completed. In the beginning
      I will make sure I am able to read Psurface objects through files in
      ParaView

      (Probably, this will be done by 10th August). And then the ParaView
      filter shall

      be complete by September 5.
      -

      5 September – 15 September: Phase four to be completed.
      -

      The above timeline represents only a rough idea as per my own
      calculations. They might change during the course of the project.
      -

   How much time will you contribute per week: Currently, I plan to deploy
   around 35 hours a week for this project. If the project requires more, I
   will put in more efforts.
   -

   What timezone will you be working from: I will be working from Mumbai,
   Maharahstra, India.
   -

   What software/libraries will you use: Basically, I will be working on
   the Psurface library of C++ and using the ParaView tool. Other softwares or
   libraries will be decided as the project commences.

Misc
------------------------------

   -

   Why did you choose DUNE?: I chose to work with DUNE because DUNE works
   for Mathematics (developing high performance computing methods to solve
   partial differential equations). I, being a Math lover, and inclined
   towards Calculus and programming could not find a better match to work with
   this Summer.
   -

   Did you use DUNE before and on which OS?: No, I have not used DUNE
   before.
   -

   Why are you qualified for the project?: I am qualified for this project
   mainly because I love programming and I possess the required background for
   this project. I have a good experience working on projects in C++/Python.
   Moreover, I have an urge to contribute to and learn professional software
   development from the open source community.
   -

   Other previous relevant experience: I have described my experience with
   software development, programming and mathematics above in Background info.
   -

   Links to previous work samples, that might underline your argument: Some
   of my work can be found here:https://github.com/anandsoni11 and
   https://github.com/wncc/gpo-styler-3 . However, this may not be a
   complete collection.
   -

   Other commitments during summer of code (vacation, exams, etc.): I am
   not involved in any other activity until mid-July when my academic session
   begins at IIT Bombay.

*
Eager to get involved further and know your comments.

Cheers!
--
*Anand Soni | Junior Undergraduate | Department of Computer Science &
Engineering | IIT Bombay | India*