[Dune-devel] [Dune] DUNE migration to Git complete

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue May 7 14:45:45 CEST 2013

Hi,

Am 06.05.2013 um 21:44 schrieb Markus Blatt:

> Hi,
>
> first of thanks a lot for all the work.
>
> On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 02:50:06PM +0200, Steffen Müthing wrote:
>>
>> - As I already wrote in the reply to Martin this morning, I think it would be a good idea if everyone
>>  with access to a xyz at dune-project.org address used that address as the committer id for the
>>  Dune repositories, just to have continuity between the old, converted commits and anything that
>>  gets added from now on. And thanks to Christian bugging me about it, there is a really easy way
>>  to set this up, described at http://users.dune-project.org/projects/main-wiki/wiki/Dunecontrol_vcsetup.
>
> I am sorry, but this seems like another level of complexity to me. I am
> probably too dumb/lazy to do this :) Can't this mapping be done on the
> server side if it is really needed?

It's not needed, you can use whatever you like in there. But it

- makes it easy to see which commits are by people closely connected to the project (if you have a
  mail address @dune-project.org, you probably are). That way, you can easily compile statistics about how
  many external contributions we have etc.

- People who are still in the academic world don't have to change their identity every time they move, so tools like
  ohloh don't get confused. Some people care about that, others don't (personally, I mostly belong to the latter
  category…)

That said, it's still completely optional :-)

>> - Carsten brought up the idea of requiring editor hints in new (C++) files. Adding that to the hooks would
>>  take about five minutes, but what is the general opinion regarding this feature?
>>

> I like editor hooks big time. But I would refrain from putting another
> hurdle in front of potential committers by requiring them. We are already very strict
> and might offend potential contributors.
>
> Could checking for new files regularly and proposing adequat editor
> hints to the committer be an option?

We could also have the hook output a suggestion if there are no hints but let the commit go through regardless.
The local hook's suggestion could even contain instructions on how to amend the commit after adding the hints. :-)

Steffen