[Dune-devel] [Dune] DUNE migration to Git complete

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Mon May 6 21:44:16 CEST 2013

Hi,

first of thanks a lot for all the work.

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 02:50:06PM +0200, Steffen Müthing wrote:

> - As I already wrote in the reply to Martin this morning, I think it would be a good idea if everyone
>   with access to a xyz at dune-project.org address used that address as the committer id for the
>   Dune repositories, just to have continuity between the old, converted commits and anything that
>   gets added from now on. And thanks to Christian bugging me about it, there is a really easy way
>   to set this up, described at http://users.dune-project.org/projects/main-wiki/wiki/Dunecontrol_vcsetup.

I am sorry, but this seems like another level of complexity to me. I am
probably too dumb/lazy to do this :) Can't this mapping be done on the
server side if it is really needed?

> - Carsten brought up the idea of requiring editor hints in new (C++) files. Adding that to the hooks would
>   take about five minutes, but what is the general opinion regarding this feature?

I like editor hooks big time. But I would refrain from putting another
hurdle in front of potential committers by requiring them. We are already very strict
and might offend potential contributors.

Could checking for new files regularly and proposing adequat editor
hints to the committer be an option?

> - In order to mirror our repositories on GitHub, I set up an
>   organizational account called dune-project.

Either we use github or something similar, but then this is the only
central repository or we delete such mirrors. If I see a project on
github I assume that it is a central repository and act like that.

Having such repositories in addition to a central one is just more work.

Kind regards,

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658