[Dune-devel] [Dune] DUNE migration to Git complete

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue May 7 17:09:32 CEST 2013

Hi Christian,

Am 07.05.2013 um 16:24 schrieb Christian Engwer:

> Hi Steffen,
>
> a few comments/questions:
>
>> - Use the pull request support offered by one of the big code hosting sites (GitHub, Gitorious, BitBucket). Again, some thoughts on that:
>>  - They tend to have really nice interfaces (especially GitHub and BitBucket).
>
> Does GitHub work with forks outside of github? I don't think I will
> push my stuff to github, but still I might want to link to a git
> branch or use the nice merging features.

Unfortunately it doesn't. But as you have commit rights to Dune anyway, that's not really a
problem for you: Just push your changes to a private branch and request a merge from that
private branch to either a feature branch or master. GitHub is perfectly fine with pull requests
between different branches within the same repository.

>>  - We introduce a completely external component in our setup, over which we don't really have any control. This carries the risk of their site
>>    changing in ways we don't like, not having the data available locally, their site simply disappearing etc.
>>  - There is a good chance contributors are already comfortable with the way the process works on these public sites, simply because of
>>    their ubiquity.
>>  - Because Christian already asked: We cannot just move our repositories completely to one of those sites if we want to retain things like
>>    per-branch commit rights and the whitespace check.
>>  - We would have two workflows that live side-by-side, making it harder to look for stuff. Christian had the idea of mitigating this by using
>>    GitHub's notifications to automatically mirror the pull requests into our FlySpray in some way.
>
> It is not really that I would suggest this. It was one the ideas to
> somehow keep track of of the different systems, but i don't like it.

Sorry, should have clarified that you didn't like the idea, either.

>>  - People who want to keep using the FlySpray the way they have always done can continue to do so.
>>  - At least some of the developers would have to be willing to look at those pull requests (there is no need to actively look for them, GitHub
>>    automatically sends out email notifications when told to do so).
>
> I like the concept of easy merges and I like the idea of an easy
> "fork" but github in general doesn't really fit into our current
> workflow. Sure people like github and we can make it easy for them to
> use github, we have to keep the consequences in mind and I still think
> that it will introduce more work then it helps.
>
> But we can give it a try; given that we really shut it down if we
> don't like it. I don't want to create facts here.

Sounds good to me.

Steffen

> Christian

Steffen Müthing
Universität Stuttgart
Institut für Parallele und Verteilte Systeme
Universitätsstr. 38
70569 Stuttgart
Tel: +49 711 685 88429
Fax: +49 711 685 88340