[Dune-devel] [Dune] DUNE migration to Git complete

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Tue May 7 16:24:32 CEST 2013

Hi Steffen,

a few comments/questions:

> - Use the pull request support offered by one of the big code hosting sites (GitHub, Gitorious, BitBucket). Again, some thoughts on that:
>   - They tend to have really nice interfaces (especially GitHub and BitBucket).

Does GitHub work with forks outside of github? I don't think I will
push my stuff to github, but still I might want to link to a git
branch or use the nice merging features.

>   - We introduce a completely external component in our setup, over which we don't really have any control. This carries the risk of their site
>     changing in ways we don't like, not having the data available locally, their site simply disappearing etc.
>   - There is a good chance contributors are already comfortable with the way the process works on these public sites, simply because of
>     their ubiquity.
>   - Because Christian already asked: We cannot just move our repositories completely to one of those sites if we want to retain things like
>     per-branch commit rights and the whitespace check.
>   - We would have two workflows that live side-by-side, making it harder to look for stuff. Christian had the idea of mitigating this by using
>     GitHub's notifications to automatically mirror the pull requests into our FlySpray in some way.

It is not really that I would suggest this. It was one the ideas to
somehow keep track of of the different systems, but i don't like it.

>   - People who want to keep using the FlySpray the way they have always done can continue to do so.
>   - At least some of the developers would have to be willing to look at those pull requests (there is no need to actively look for them, GitHub
>     automatically sends out email notifications when told to do so).

I like the concept of easy merges and I like the idea of an easy
"fork" but github in general doesn't really fit into our current
workflow. Sure people like github and we can make it easy for them to
use github, we have to keep the consequences in mind and I still think
that it will introduce more work then it helps.

But we can give it a try; given that we really shut it down if we
don't like it. I don't want to create facts here.