[Dune-devel] [Dune] DUNE migration to Git complete

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Tue May 7 17:56:07 CEST 2013

Hi,

I think there is a slight misconception about what a pull request on
git-hub is.

IMO this works like this:

1. people fork a repository, i.e. create their own mirror of the git
   repository on github.
2. They checkout this repository.
3. They create a local branch, e.g. flyspray_108 and apply changes
4. They push their local branch to github
5. They tell git that this branch to should be merged into a
   particular branch in the original repository.

This means that each pull request contains all changes applied in a
particular branch. (I am not sure whether you can post multiple pull
request using the same branch, I would assume no).

In what regard does this help?
- It is easy for people to fork.
- If developers are brave/lazy they can merge by pushing a button.

Can this be achieved without DUNE being on github? Definitely yes. One
would proceed as follows (I omitted the steps that are the same as before):
1.1 Create an empty repository on github
1.2 Add it as additional remote:
    git remote add myversion git at github.com:<user>/<remote-repo-name>.git
1.3 Push the branch you want to work on
    it push -u myversion master
5. Tell the dune community where to find your changes:
   git at github.com:<user>/<remote-repo-name>.git in branch my-fancy
   branch

Merging is not pressing a button, but:
1. Add the new remote repo:
   git remote add <user> git://github.com/<user>/<remote-repo-name>.git
2. Fetch the changes
   git fetch <user>
3. git merge remotes/<user>/<my-fancy>
4. git push

BTW the only additional work in contrast to using private branches
instead of remote repositories is adding the remote (once for each
contributor). What we gain is not having to administer additional
rights on our server and we could get rid off the rights per branch
alltogether.

Cheers,

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658