[Dune-devel] Private write access for Andreas

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Tue May 7 18:16:29 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 04:31:14PM +0200, Christian Engwer wrote:
> we already have private branches, namely for Robert and Martin. We
> explicitly suggested this setup in the proposal for the repository
> layout. All I want to do is use what we decided upon.

I beg to differ. I already ranted against this _during_ the proposal
and was ignored by everyone but Martin, who actually agreed with me
but wanted to keep his private branch during an interim period.

IMHO these branches were there due to a limitation in
subversion. With using git this picture has changed and so should our
mind. There is simply no need for these branches anymore as we can use
additional remote repositories for this and decrease the
administration effort, see my other mail.

> > If Andreas works on some features that are/might be of a general
> > interest, shouldn't we create a feature branch with a speaking name
> > for it? Then people/developers at least know the context the commits
> > belong to. This would at least allow for meaningfully filtering the commit
> > messages. (Filtering on a person's name seems rather inadequate to me).
>
> We will not have feature branches for all the bug fixes. The idea here
> is not to have a private repo with all private new features that
> nobody else will use. Still a feature branch can only be created by a
> developer, while Andreas can create them easily in his own
> "namespace".

He can also do this in his own mirror of DUNE without any
administration overhead on you besides adding his repository as a
remote.

> > Additionally, your approach seems to implement another caste to our
> > developer system. Before we had: normal people/contributors,
> > developers with write access, and core developers. Now there is
> > another one (contributors with private write access) in between the
> > first two. Thus DUNE might even more be perceived like an elite clube and
> > further keep others from contributing. Do we really want this?
>
> That is the reason to add this. We have some "rules" about when to
> grant write access. There are good reason for these rules and there
> reasons against these rules. in my opinion these branches are making
> it easierr to contribute.

Consequently we would need to establish user ids and private branches
for everybody who has/will ever contribute...

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658