[Dune-devel] hash_combine on 32 bit

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Oct 23 14:46:05 CEST 2013

Hi Carsten,

Am 21.10.2013 um 10:51 schrieb Carsten Gräser:

> Hi Steffen,
> I somehow didn't notice this before:
>
> The new version of hash_combine() used a 47 bit shift on
> a size_t which issues a warning on 32 bit systems. At the
> respective function in the CityHash header you pointed
> to in the docs only uses uint64 instead.
>
> Do you know if this 32 bit variant is still reasonable?

you're right, the code is probably not correct for 32bit systems. I have
a local patch with a 32bit version of the algorithm (also taken from
CityHash), but it depends on a test for the size of size_t, and I don't
know how to write that test for cmake. I've asked Christoph to take a
look at that. Once the test works for cmake as well, I'll push the fix.

Best,
Steffen