[Dune-devel] ESA Summer of Code application (today!)

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Tue Apr 15 10:17:52 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 08:22:27AM +0200, Christoph GrĂ¼ninger wrote:
> The organization application deadline is at 11 UTC (13 h German
> time).

That sounded like a weired deadline. Just checked again and it it 11pm
tonight. Sounds more reasonable.

> I already copied and adapted the ideas page from GSoC 2014, see
> http://users.dune-project.org/projects/esa-socis-2014/wiki/Project_ideas
>
> Please update the ideas if necessary or add new ideas.

Wouldn't it be easier/save time to just adapt the one of gsoc directly
on our homepage?

> I'll do the application for Dune later this morning.

Most of the questions are the same as for GSOC, except the one about
the space connection. Maybe we could post at least that answer beforehand
either in the wiki or a git repository such it can be reviewed and
corrected.

> @Markus Blatt: Do you have the text describing DUNE from the GSoC
> 2014
> application? I only can find the one from 2013.

No. that was very last minute and I posted it directly in
melange. Unfortunately there seems no way to retrieve it again.
The answers were basically the same with two changes:
1. That we would make a lot more use of the bonding period and would
   during this time expect the students to actively communicate with us
   and show that they got acquainted to it. If the student would fail to
   show that he/she can communicate with the community or did not
   contribute during that time, then we would fail him/her.
2. We would regularly contact the students interactively via chat and
  ask questions. This would would make it easier to detect problems
  and misconceptions early in the project and bring it back on track
  without losing too much precious time.

Thanks by the way for taking over the application process. That is
much appreciated!

Cheers,

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858