[Dune-devel] [Dune core modules] Doodle: Unify capabilities and type_traits

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Wed Dec 3 02:08:23 CET 2014

Hi Christian,

Am 03.12.2014 um 00:27 schrieb Christian Engwer:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 05:44:17PM +0100, Carsten Gräser wrote:
>> Am 02.12.2014 um 14:55 schrieb dune.project at uni-muenster.de:
>>> http://users.dune-project.org/doodles/25
>>> Carsten Gräser
>>>
>>> Christian Engwer answered the doodle.
>>
>> Hi Christian,
>> cold you briefly outline, what you think should be
>> discussed. Perhaps others would change their mind
>> regarding this proposal.
>
> as there was no discussion at all up to now I think it would be
> appropriate, and without further pro/cons I don't have strong oponion
> on the topic.
>
> Currently I don't see benefits from the change except beauty. Are
for me it's not about beauty (I like ::v as much as ::value) but
consistency and following the principle of least surprise.

> there technical arguments for the change? It is again a place where we
> break user code and especially in a place we started but didn't
> extensively continue the discussion about the future design in
> general. Are we sure we keep the capabilities in a form similar to
> now?
I also think that this is _not_ settled yet and that there
will be more discussions and changes in the future.

However the discussion was (and I guess will be) only
about which capabilities to implement. We did not discuss
the way they are implemented. And I have the impression
that's because there's a canonical way: type traits.

The main reason for the proposal is that we already
decided on a new capability which I would not like to
implement the inconsistent way - just to change it
next release.

Best,
Carsten