[Dune-devel] [Dune core modules] Doodle: Unify capabilities and type_traits

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Dec 4 18:12:01 CET 2014

Hi,
I second Markus' wish to consider more the amount of work for projects
depending on Dune.
In DuMuX we try to stay compatible with the last release and the current
trunk. That's only possible with a bunch of DUNE_*_VERSION_IS_NEWER
macros. If the deprecated or removed function or class is frequently
used, this clutters the code and triggers a lot of work to include the
macros and to remove them again after the next release. And it causes
constant monitoring, to keep the code low-warning.

As I never used capabilities in user code, I think the change is ok. But
I have to confess, the gain I see is limited.

Maybe we should also talk about the duties of deprecating. I know not
many people really care about removing deprecated functions after the
next release. But I really dislike when people deprecate a function or
class, and not adjust affected code. This creates easily dozens of
warnings which user code cannot avoid.
I don't want to blame Oliver in particular, it is just the most recent
example I remember: His deprecation of map() in favor of index() causes
long lists of deprecation warnings, most of them not in user code but
VTK output. I'd like to see this changed as part of the deprecation process.
If the deprecated code is not used anymore, it is less difficult to
remove it. The only exception should be tests of the deprecated part,
and it should be enclosed by the DISABLE_DEPRECATED macro.
Currently it is virtually impossible to use the gridcheck, because there
are so many warnings about ilevelbegin, leafend etc. -- even with the
deprecated checks disabled.

GDB does hate your application, expresses its contempt through the
design of its command-line interface.   -- Tom Tromey, FOSDEM 2014