[Dune-devel] [Dune] Google Sommer of Code 2014?

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Mon Feb 3 11:59:10 CET 2014

Hi,

cool, it is the usual suspects again ;)
I could do the administration work, again but need a backup
as I am on the road during some busy times. BTW: If our resources
allow for it I would not serve as a mentor to avoid conflicts of
interest. If not, then I would like to be a co-mentor only.

Just some more information if there are other people interested:

You can find the timeline of the program at
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014

Here is an outline of the timeline:

- Deadline for our application February 14
- Acceptance notice            February 21
- Student Application          March 10-21
- Students bond with   DUNE    April 21-May 18
- Coding period                May 19-August 18
- Midterm eval                 June 23-27
- End evaluation               August 22

Which means the program is approximately one 1.5 month earlier than last
year.

If you are willing to mentor, be prepared to invest a reasonable
amount of time (read 10 hours per week) to make the project
successful. Especially the bonding time is very important to get the
students started. We should make sure that we have 2 mentors per
project. This served us quite well last year.

Two of the mentors will be able to visit the Google mentor summit at
Google on Silicon Valley in Autumn. There is a travel expense stipend
for this which covers flight and 2 nights of accomodation. Food is
provided there, too. Last year Christoph and me went
there and it was quite an experience and fun to meet other
projects. Naturally people that have not been there already come
first.

If have started a wiki to gather information at
http://users.dune-project.org/projects/gsoc2014 . Go list yourself and
your project ideas if you are willing to participate as a mentor or
admin.

Cheers,

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658