[Dune-devel] Public interface of GridView

Oliver Sander sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 21 14:09:32 CET 2014

Am 21.02.2014 13:57, schrieb Martin Nolte:
> Hi Oli, hi all,

Hi Martin,

> looking into Dune::Entity, the "copy constructor from implementation", i.e., Entity( EntityImp ), is not protected at all. If you protect such a constructor, even the grid implementation itself can no
> longer create the object (e.g., entity or grid view) without first deriving something from the facade class.

duh, you are right.  I was thrown off by the fact that the Entity(EntityImp) constructor appears
in a separate section in the doxygen documentation, but it really is public nevertheless.

Okay, then I withdraw my proposal to make the constructor protected.

> Protecting the type "Implementation" is, however, our current style. This has also been done for the GridView. Unfortunately, the GridView also publicly exports this type as GridViewImp. I suggest to
> remove this typedef alltogether.

I agree.  Any objections to that from anyone?

> As for the copy constructor from implementation: I would like it to remain public. If you really know what you get yourself (and others) into, I will not object to making it protected as long as it
> remains public if DUNE_GRID_EXPERIMENTAL_GRID_EXTENSIONS is set.

Proposal withdrawn.  All I want is consistency between the different interface classes.

> Best,
>
> Martin
>
> PS: What does AIUI mean? I really like this style - you never know what the other guy intends to say. Is there some dictionary for such "new words" to plain old English?

AIUI = "as I understand it",  see, e.g., https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/AIUI

Cheers,