[Dune-devel] Mixing master and releases

Oliver Sander sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Feb 24 09:45:13 CET 2014

Hi Markus,

> Sure it works, but the question is how long does it work. We did it
> because we always did it this way

sorry, but "because we always did it this way" is not a good reason for me.

> and we can prevent users from
> undeliberately mixing versions.

But mixing versions can be very useful.  With the 2.3 release packages being
in Debian it is much more convenient to use those wherever possible.  Still,
you sometimes need stuff from master.

> patching dune.module in your own branch should be another option, I guess.

Sure, but it's a hassle, because I have to go out and tell my students to patch
their dune.module, too.

My proposal: revert all dependencies to 2.3 and keep them there until the first
problems show up.  I am even tempted to propose that we may consider hacking
around the first few version incompatibilities with the preprocessor (that's what
version.hh is for, after all).