[Dune-devel] Mixing master and releases

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Mon Feb 24 09:57:37 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 09:45:13AM +0100, Oliver Sander wrote:
> > Sure it works, but the question is how long does it work. We did it
> > because we always did it this way
>
> sorry, but "because we always did it this way" is not a good reason for me.

That was never meant as an argument.

> My proposal: revert all dependencies to 2.3 and keep them there until the first
> problems show up.  I am even tempted to propose that we may consider hacking
> around the first few version incompatibilities with the preprocessor (that's what
> version.hh is for, after all).

Actually, I do not have any strong feelings about version
dependencies, despite that they are nearly always broken (just take
dune-grid 1.0 and which demands for dune-common >=1.0 LOL) and a lot
of work.

To me the CMake version systems makes some sense. There, the packages
export which to which of their own versions they are compatible. Kind
of contradicts the pkg-config stuff, though.

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658