[Dune-devel] Install location of CMake modules

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Fri Jan 3 15:40:00 CET 2014

Hi Ansgar,

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 02:33:01PM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> I noticed DUNE want to ship CMake modules in ${prefix}/share/cmake/modules if
> installed system-wide. As they have quite generic names such as
> "FindInkscape.cmake" or "UseLATEX.cmake", I wonder if they should go
> into a directory specific for DUNE instead, for example into
> ${prefix}/share/dune/cmake/modules[1].

You are totally right.

> However I'm not sure how cmake is supposed to find them. Does it involve
> dune-common-config.cmake.in?

It finds them via the location given by dune-common and that involves dune-common-config.cmake.in.

> If so, shouldn't this be installed by the
> autoconf build system as well? So far it's just an extra dist file.

Yeah it should and I am currently working on this issue. Turns out
that it is more complicated than I thought.

BTW: there are aome issues where I could use some insight from a
Debian expert, like you are one:

   For the debian packages the pkg-config files are installed into
   $prefix/lib/$multi-arch/pkconfig. This makes perfect sense as the
   information includes libraries which differ between architectures.
   I assume that the same should happen for the installation of the
   dune-common-config.cmake files as these contain similar
   information.

   Questions:
   - Shouldn't this approach also be used for the installation with
     autotools?
   - Is there a generic way to get/guess these multi-arch values?
     (On my system the value is x86_64-linux-gnu. I get x86_64 using
     uname -m and construct linux-gnu from the GNU/Linux that I get
     from uname -s and uname -o. Not sure whether this is really
     generic, though)