[Dune-devel] ALBERTA support in Debian packages for DUNE

Ansgar Burchardt burchardt at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Mar 4 11:12:43 CET 2014

Hi,

as Debian includes ALBERTA 2.0.1 [1], I enabled support for ALBERTA in
the Debian packages for DUNE. However with a new version of SuperLU a
problem appeared[2]:

  [1] <http://packages.qa.debian.org/libalberta2>
  [2] <https://bugs.debian.org/740285>

Both ALBERTA 2.0.1 and SuperLU provide the function "print_int_vec" and
cannot be used at the same time[3]. This was already discussed in a bug
report in DUNE's bug tracker[4] and the function in ALBERTA was renamed
in order to avoid the name conflict.

  [3] <https://bugs.debian.org/740285>
  [4] <https://dune-project.org/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=831>

However there has been no (stable) release of ALBERTA with the renamed
function so far.

Currently I see these options:

a, Package a ALBERTA 3 snapshot or release candidate for Debian. This
requires someone to do this. I don't use ALBERTA myself and don't really
want to package non-release versions, but might still look at it if
there are users for the packages.

b, Ask upstream for a ALBERTA 2.0.2 release which backports the rename
to ALBERTA 2.

c, Rename "print_int_vec" in ALBERTA with a Debian-specific patch. But
changing the API in a Debian-specific patch is really something to avoid.

d, Disable support for ALBERTA in Debian's DUNE packages.

Options (b) or (d) would mean the least work, but providing a current
ALBERTA version with (a) might also be nice for users of the library. It
would be nice to know if an ALBERTA 3 release is planned too. Option (c)
I would really like to avoid.

Any opinions from other people?

Regards,
Ansgar