[Dune-devel] Replace Dune C++11 by plain C++11

Christoph Grüninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Mar 12 00:16:26 CET 2014

Hi Martin!

> Wow, Microsoft did really support Compiler features that are
> less than 10 years?

When the costumers see that other vendors have better
products,
they might switch. Hopefully IBM will feel the same pressure.
Competition is good for business.

>> - Since 2011 dune/common/singleton.hh includes <memory> and
>> uses std::auto_ptr. Nobody complained so far.
> As far as I know, the file is not even used.

At least I got a bunch of deprecation warnings when compiling
Dune. Ergo, at least Clang included the singelton header.

> As for 3.0: I was kind of surprised that we don't go for
> 2.4. Maybe my memory dropped some decision from Aachen.

"It is likely that afterwards there will be a 3.0 release,
which may introduce a few non-backward-compatible changes."

As I changed the version number myself, the version number
might lack proper core-developer voting legitimation.

> If we want more
> compatibilty, we can have a "stable" branch targeting for a
> 2.4 release (maybe early next year) and the non-backward
> compatible 3.0 "master" branch (whose release can then be
> delayed a little).

Sounds good, but I doubt you'll get enough feedback and
helping
developer hands.

Die meisten Gebäude stammen aus einer Zeit, in der man auch
Türklinken aus Beton gemacht hätte, wenn das denn ginge.
[Spiegel Online, 25. Februar 2013]