[Dune-devel] Replace Dune C++11 by plain C++11

Christoph Grüninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Mar 12 00:03:24 CET 2014

Hi Christian,
let's fix the issue I introduced.

> a) I don't think it is clever to start such a big discussion
> like this on the list. I doubt you will get the necessary
> feedback.

Unfortunately you were right. The German terms "Armutszeugnis"
and "Bankrotterklärung" comes to my mind. We are no longer
capable to discuss issues on the mailing list?
Maybe exaggerated, but such a confession hurts.

> b) nobody asked for new features, we decided to keep the
> imports and drop the backwards compatibility code. The
> recent changed also droppped the imports (or at least
> eliminated their use).

I suggest to place headers like memory.hh, tuple.hh, and
staticassert.hh in dune/common/std. They import only the
classes from std::, not from boost::, tr1:: or whatever.
The old headers like shared_ptr.hh will be voided and
only kept as transition headers including the new ones.
We can remove all m4 tests that are checking features
provided by GCC 4.4.

> I would also like use all the new and shiny features of
> C++11, but we had a consensus and I think we should
> respect this. We are alsways free to revert our decisions,
> but then you should get all (or most) developers involved
> in this discussion.

Sure, but how can I start discussions?
Regarding the decisions from Aachen: They seems to contradict
each other. We require GCC 4.4 or newer, but we maintain
compatibility code that is not needed by any compiler we
support - as far as we know.

Bon, I'll create a personal branch with the described changes
for more qualified comments than this rant ;-)

Die meisten Gebäude stammen aus einer Zeit, in der man auch
Türklinken aus Beton gemacht hätte, wenn das denn ginge.
[Spiegel Online, 25. Februar 2013]