[Dune-devel] [SOCIS2014] Add flexibe Krylov solver to dune-istl

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Mon May 12 17:32:44 CEST 2014

Hi Adrian,

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 05:21:57AM +0300, Adrian Olteanu wrote:
> I am Adrian, a 1st year undergraduate in Mathematics at Cambridge
> University.

Great to have you here!

> I've read the documentation of the project involving Krylov space methods
> and I believe it's interesting and useful to implement (at least
> FGMRES).

Why at least?

> would like to contribute to this and though I don't have experience working
> for open source projects,

Getting experience with open source projects is what SOCIS is all
about.

> I learned some numerical mathematics (taken a
> course in numerical analysis and currently taking an optimization course).
> Furthermore, I am really familiar with C++. Java is language I used most
> but I get along with C++ as well.
> I would appreciate any suggestions, opinions about the first steps
> regarding the project and the application process. Maybe some good further
> readings. Thanks.

Christoph is the goto person for the application process. Considering
the technical side I would propose to get your hands dirty, e.g. by:

1. Get familiar with the available (non-fexible) solvers in dune-istl
(dune/istl/solvers.hh).
1.1 Maybe look at the bug tracker whether there are some open bugs
concerning the solvers and try to contribute.
1.2 Maybe there are some tests for the solvers missing (who
knows). Maybe you can contribute some tests?
2. All of the solvers are (or at least should) be usable in parallel,
too. If you are interested in how this is done read the paper about
dune-istl listed at http://www.dune-project.org/publications.html
3. If you need more information grab yourself a good book about
iterative solvers from your library.

Please be aware that it is hard for us to judge your ability by your
words/CV or whatever. Therefore it is always good if you can give some
evidence of your abilities, contribute during the application
process. What we (or at least I) are looking for are people that are
motivated and to some parts self starters. Anything that undermines
this is a plus for your application.

Cheers,

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858