[Dune-devel] [SOCIS2014] Thread support for parallel index sets (was Re: DUNE ESA summer of code)

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Tue May 13 17:45:31 CEST 2014

> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 09:24:02AM +0000, Agnese, Marco wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 May 2014 14:36:16 +0200, Markus Blatt wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 10:13:09AM +0000, Agnese, Marco wrote:
> > > Hello Dr. Blatt,
> > > I would be very interested in apply for your project (Project 1: Add
> > > thread support to parallel index sets).
> > >

> > Great! Be aware that this might be an open-ended project as it is
> > currently really just a project idea. I do not have a project plan in
> > my mind (not even a faintest one). Therefore the first step of this
> > project would surely be an assessment whether the parallel index sets
> > would play well with threads, how hybrid thread/mpi could work, what
> > kind of threads to use, and so one.
> >
> What concern me is the project plan to submit in the application. As
> you told me this is an open task. Therefore I have honestly no idea
> to what I am supposed to write in. For sure the first weeks I will
> need to take confidence whit threads, compare the difference (pros
> and cons) between the POSIX and the C++11 implementation and start
> to think how to implement the MPI-threads hybrid approach. But apart
> from that I think it is difficult to forecast where the project will
> lead. Therefore I would like to ask you what do you think I should
> write in the project plan?

Project plans are not cast in stone. Projects change, unexpected
obstacles occur and so one. For me a project plan describes in your
own words, what the project is about together with a rough work plan
(read 3 to 4 milestones). An sketching an initially idea who the
project can be achieved technically, certainly helps. Your above
answer/question already contains part of the project plan. During the
project this might need to adapted/clarified of course.

For this particular project a short assessment how you think that the
message passing approach can be achieved with threads (or other better
means) would be nice.

BTW there was a thread about this project for GSOC 2013, which might
also help:
http://lists.dune-project.org/pipermail/dune-devel/2013-April/000240.html

DISCLAIMER:
I am posting this to the list such that other people can comment and
other applicants can benefit also. (Last year there was a project that
was latter done in a group of DUNE developer. Unfortunately, these
nerver commented or communicated their plans. This should not be
repeated and I guess there might be overlap with other projects).

Regards,

Markus