[Dune-devel] CMake with Visual Studion/Windows

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Sep 2 08:23:11 CEST 2014

Hi Christian,

>> - CMake works in general, thus I was not able to execute any Dune
>> program
>
> do you have a clue what went wrong? Or is this the compiler issue?

The tests are controlled by CTest which was not included in the
generated VS project, or the targets were somewhere hidden.
Probably it could be done by modifying the CMake files to bypass CTest,
but I did not try.

>> - Interplay with Visual Studio (VS) is impracticable: You have to
>> run CMake for dune-common, build dune-common with VS, run CMake for
>> dune-geometry, build dune-geometry with VS and so forth
>
> Isn't this what the master CMake files are intended for? This is what
> I had in mind when we discussed dunecontrol, cmake, etc.

Currently there is no master CMake file. I think this could be done;
together with a unified configure over all modules. I intended to give
this project a try in our GSOC 2014 and SOCIS projects, but the Dune was
not selected to GSOC 2014 and no student from SOCIS showed interest in
the idea.

> I'd envision a dunecontrol which generates the appropriate cmake file,
> which then builds all the dune modules. If this works without
> dunecontrol, even better :-)

As CMake already figures out the dependencies between the modules it
should be capable to find them, too. So it could be done without
dunecontrol.
And dunecontrol is a bash script, that is not portable to plain Windows.

>> - Microsoft's C++ compiler struggles with some C++ constructs we
>> use:
>
> this is something I also heard from other people using windows for
> scientific computing. The usual advice is using ICC which integrates
> with VS.

Sure, but the licensing is there even worse than with Unix. There is no
free license for personal or open source projects. And I don't know of
any institute that has ICC licenses and Windows. All clusters with ICC
installed I could get access to are Unices.
On the other hand, Microsoft is catching up astonishingly fast, cf. the
already implemented and planned features for Visual Studio 14 [1]. At
some point it would be even worth to file template meta-programming bugs.
Let's see who'll be faster: Microsoft with there compiler, Intel with
their licensing or Dune with Windows support ;-)

By the way, Microsoft announced support for Boost [2] and CMake [3] in
Windows Store and Windows Phone apps. That could improve the support by
Visual Studio.

[1]
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2014/08/21/c-11-14-features-in-visual-studio-14-ctp3.aspx
[2]
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2014/07/18/using-boost-libraries-in-windows-store-and-phone-applications.aspx
[3]
http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2014/07/28/expanding-open-source-technologies-on-windows/

--
GDB does hate your application, expresses its contempt through the
design of its command-line interface.   -- Tom Tromey, FOSDEM 2014