[Dune-devel] CMake with Visual Studion/Windows

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Mon Sep 1 12:16:17 CEST 2014

Dear Christoph,

> recently I gave Windows a try and tried to compile Dune with Visual
> Studio and CMake.

thank you for the tests and updates.

> == Setup ==
> - Windows 7
> - Visual Studio 2013 Express (free/non-commercial version), aka
> Microsoft's C++ compiler
> - CMake 3.0
> - Dune's master branch from July 2014
>
> == Summary ==
> - CMake works in general, thus I was not able to execute any Dune
> program

do you have a clue what went wrong? Or is this the compiler issue?

> - Interplay with Visual Studio (VS) is impracticable: You have to
> run CMake for dune-common, build dune-common with VS, run CMake for
> dune-geometry, build dune-geometry with VS and so forth

Isn't this what the master CMake files are intended for? This is what
I had in mind when we discussed dunecontrol, cmake, etc.

I'd envision a dunecontrol which generates the appropriate cmake file,
which then builds all the dune modules. If this works without
dunecontrol, even better :-)

> - CTests creates no targets in VS, thus tests cannot be built or run
> - There are several Unix-specific code parts. With Cygwin and MinGW
> they provide these headers but on pure Windows they do not exist.
> - Microsoft's C++ compiler struggles with some C++ constructs we
> use:

this is something I also heard from other people using windows for
scientific computing. The usual advice is using ICC which integrates
with VS.

Ciao