[Dune-devel] [Dune-Commit] Replace or and not by || and !.

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Mon Mar 16 11:48:51 CET 2015

Am Mon, 16. Mar 2015, 10:58:01 +0100 schrieb Christoph Grüninger:
> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:58:01 +0100
> From: Christoph Grüninger <christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de>
> To: dune-devel at dune-project.org
>
> Hi Carsten,
> I don't get your point.
>
> > PS:
> > Don't get me wrong, I won't fight for 'and' and friends,
> > although I personally think using 'and' if you mean 'and'
> > is much more readable.
>
> I second that, but as a matter of fact we barley use the C++
> operator synonyms. Why should we keep them? To my mind, it look now more
> consistent.
> I did not change that many lines of code, nobody complained yet that I
> broke his code, and it makes my life easier.
>
> Bye
> Christoph

In rare cases using the words instead the symbols leads to more readable code.
Like if you have both logical and binary operators in the same expression.

But IMO requiring a special include in those cases is OK, if that works with
all supported compilers.  We could also try to detect this in the configure
stage and add the necessary option (like we do for -std=c++11) or require the
user to set that option himself in the compiler flags.  But simply including
the header in the appropriate cases is probably the least effort.

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which
is a little ironic since we may not have one.
-- Arthur C Clarke