[Dune-devel] [SOCIS2015] junior jobs, METIS issue

Emmanouil Kiagias e.kiagias at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 15:26:16 CET 2015

Hello,

I wrote a patch [0] in case METIS 5 is found. I also posted a comment in
the bugtracker [1]. About the patch:

Below I paste a quote from METIS 5.1.0 manual regarding the migration
issues (section 2.2.1):

"Since the calling sequence of all the API routines and in some cases their
names has changed, migrating to the new API will require code
modifications. To ensure that these modifications are minimal, the new API
routines allow users to provide NULL as the argument to many of the
parameters for which there are reasonable defaults"

Following this I used NULL(where possible) in the new
METIS_PartGraphRecursive's parameters. Only one new parameter could not be
set to NULL, it was "ncon" (second argument). In the manual it says: "ncon
The number of balancing constraints. It should be at least 1." so I used 1
as its value ( I am not sure though about its meaning).

In the current code the options passed to METIS_PartGraphRecursive have
options[0]=0 which means that the default option values are used, so
options[1], options[2], options[3] values are ignored. I also passed the
options using the new layout, using the default values, same as the current
code. I only manually added the METIS_OPTION_NUMBERING = numflag which is
the same numflag parameter passed in the old version of
METIS_PartGraphRecursive function.

METIS_PartGraphRecursive is not called elsewhere in the code. What is left
to completely fix the existing issue with METIS 5.x.x? Also I just compiled
my patch, I am not sure how else I can test my code for the moment.

Kind regards,
Emmanouil

[0]:
https://github.com/alamages/dune-istl/commit/87516d49485e7a8991235d503d1252b65568fd3e