[Dune-devel] Re-introducing backward compatible testing macros

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Oct 27 07:53:13 CET 2015

Hi Dominic,
I still want to bring the old test magic code back with some warnings
and backport your new stuff to 2.4. If we have an
alpha/milestone/whatever I will happily throw out the code again.
Is there somebody objecting? Should we vote on this?

> I dont get the thing about supporting 2.4+ and 3.0-git.
>
> If you aim at doing such a thing with a single code base,
> you are looking for _painful_ times anyway.

I know, but as long as it is feasible, it is the only way to have
regular releases for users and developers to test upstream. It's not
only me with DuMuX and our application modules on top of it, everybody
who has users (dune-ALUGrid, PDELab, dune-FEM) or wants to work without
disruptions.

> If you do it with 2 code bases (like having a release branch in your
> module), it poses much less work if we do _not_ backport this to
> release, as you do not have to backport your adaption, then.

I want to provide the most recent advantages to users, no matter if it
is additional work or not.
Once we have nice features from 3.0-git backported to a 2.4.x release, I
will request users to use the latest .x release and drop compatibility
with .x-1. So it will be less duplicate code with every .x release.

A mathematician is a scientist who can figure out anything, except
such simple things as squaring the circle and trisecting an angle.
[Evan Esar (1899-1995), Esar's Comic Dictionary]