[Dune-devel] Major website problem

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 23 13:12:42 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

I’ve just discovered that we have a major problem with our website: As I’ve already mentioned
a few times, the server that runs (and builds) the website is on its way out. It also runs a rather
old OS that only has GCC 4.4 available, which in turn creates a major problem with the master
branch of the core modules: People have started committing stuff that doesn’t compile on GCC
4.4 - in particular into quadraturerules.hh, which is unfortunately used by the autotools configure
check for dune-geometry. As a consequence, configure now fails for all modules that depend on
dune-geometry. Ultimately, that means that right now, it is *not possible to update the website*.
Unfortunately, I really don’t have any time to sink into this problem right now. As a first fix, I’ve
switched to a more „harmless“ header for the check in dune-geometry, but this will keep breaking.

Unfortunately, we don’t have an admin in Heidelberg right now, and I won’t be able to really look
into this before mid-October (the fix is to move to the new server ASAP, but that creates the
chicken-and-egg problem with the web site and wml). We should talk about this next week at
the developer meeting.

Steffen