[Dune-devel] Semantics of overlapSize and ghostSize

Bernd Flemisch bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Aug 3 11:14:27 CEST 2016

Hi Oliver,

there has been some discussion on the dune-devel list, see for example
http://lists.dune-project.org/pipermail/dune-devel/2013-November/000648.html

People agreed that this should be discussed in a meeting or a small task
force, but I am not aware of that this actually happened.

Kind regards
Bernd

On 08/03/2016 11:00 AM, Oliver Sander wrote:
> Dear Dune experts,
>
> I am trying to explain the meaning of the overlapSize and ghostSize methods to someone,
> and I've come to realize that I don't know it myself.  I know it means something like
> "the thickness of the overlap/ghost layers, measured in terms of elements", but is there
> anything more precise?  In particular, boths methods take integer arguments 'codim',
> but I have no idea of how that argument is supposed to influence the result.  What is
> the most precise definition of the semantics of overlapSize and ghostSize that you know of?
>
> Thanks,
> Oliver

Bernd Flemisch                         phone: +49 711 685 69162
IWS, Universität Stuttgart             fax:   +49 711 685 60430
Pfaffenwaldring 61            email: bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
D-70569 Stuttgart            url: www.hydrosys.uni-stuttgart.de