[Dune-devel] Preparation of GSoC 2016 application

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Tue Feb 2 15:14:33 CET 2016

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 02:46:12PM +0100, Christoph GrĂ¼ninger wrote:
> Dear fellow Dune developers,
> I created a wiki page with last year's project ideas and junior jobs
> http://users.dune-project.org/projects/gsoc2016/wiki/Wiki

Just two comment on the projects:
Project 1:
  It might be more usefull to look at hunter
  https://github.com/ruslo/hunter and maybe base
  development on it. Not sure whether we can achieve the flexibility
  of dunecontrol.

Project 2:
  I am not really sure whether curvilinear-grid meets all the
  requirements to be worked on, see
  e.g. https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq#what_are_the_eligibility_requirements_for_a_mentoring_organization
  This is not 100% clear, but I would assume that the project to work
  on has to be under an OSI approved licence, see
  http://opensource.org/licenses for a list.
  If dune-curvilineargrid is not under such a licence, it might
  jeopardize our chances to be selected. Currently, it says that it is
  open source but only free for non-commercial use.

Project 4:
  I thought that is already worked on.

BTW: Is one allowed to add projects, even if one is not available as a
     mentor?

Markus

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858