[Dune-devel] First impressions with new website infrastructure

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Mon Feb 15 12:13:35 CET 2016

Am Mon, 15. Feb 2016, 11:30:52 +0100 schrieb Steffen Müthing:
> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 11:30:52 +0100
> From: Steffen Müthing <steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>
> To: Christoph Grüninger <christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de>

> Hi Christoph,
>
> > Am 14.02.2016 um 20:16 schrieb Christoph Grüninger <christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de>:
[...]
> > * All images and PDFs are in LFS and not in the common Git
> >  repo. I ended up downloading the whole .5 GiB LFS stuff.
> >  That will improve once I learned Git LFS. I am not sure
> >  whether I want to have small binary files in Git and only
> >  large stuff in LFS. Let's see how this develops.
>
> I very much want it that way because otherwise the repository will just keep growing (remember, if you
> commit a file and later delete it, it will still be contained in your cloned repo). The correct way of avoiding
> the auto-download of all the big files is to configure Git LFS (see git lfs help fetch). We should add the
> relevant instructions to the Howto suggested by you, but basically it goes like this:
>
> git clone --config lfs.fetchexclude="static/download,static/pdf" https://gitlab.dune-project.org/infrastructure/dune-website.git
>
> This will skip the download and PDF directories. If you later decide that you do not the directories after all,
> just do
>
> git config lfs.fetchexclude "“ # or add whatever you still want to ignore in between the quotes
> git pull # will fetch the additional objects

I would keep the images (or most images) in git proper.  They do not change
that often, and aren't actually that big.  I did not find a single one that
exceeded 1MB in
<https://gitlab.dune-project.org/infrastructure/dune-website/tree/master/static/img>.
And it would allow to edit and test most of the website without having to
install git-lfs (which seems to be a problem, see the ITP
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=792075).

MfG,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
-- Ozzy Osbourne