[Dune-devel] First impressions with new website infrastructure

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Feb 15 11:30:52 CET 2016

Hi Christoph,

> Am 14.02.2016 um 20:16 schrieb Christoph Grüninger <christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de>:
>
> Hi Dominic,
> working with Hugo feels way better then WML. Once we ironed
> out some issues, I will be a clear improvement.
> Things I stumbled upon:
>
> * I am not allowed to push to master. I know you are a huge
>  fan of working on branches. But I don't see the advantage
>  to force everybody into using branches. When I update the
>  website, I usually have only small changes and don't want
>  the extra burden of creating branches and accepting them.
>  Sure, it's only a couple of extra commands, but still…

I think that’s just a configuration issue. I’ll have to talk to Dominic about that. We definitely want at
least the developers to be able to directly commit to master, if only for the cool „directly edit this page“
link on each page that takes you to the GitLab edit page of the corresponding Markdown source file.

> * All images and PDFs are in LFS and not in the common Git
>  repo. I ended up downloading the whole .5 GiB LFS stuff.
>  That will improve once I learned Git LFS. I am not sure
>  whether I want to have small binary files in Git and only
>  large stuff in LFS. Let's see how this develops.

I very much want it that way because otherwise the repository will just keep growing (remember, if you
commit a file and later delete it, it will still be contained in your cloned repo). The correct way of avoiding
the auto-download of all the big files is to configure Git LFS (see git lfs help fetch). We should add the
relevant instructions to the Howto suggested by you, but basically it goes like this:

git clone --config lfs.fetchexclude="static/download,static/pdf" https://gitlab.dune-project.org/infrastructure/dune-website.git

This will skip the download and PDF directories. If you later decide that you do not the directories after all,
just do

git config lfs.fetchexclude "“ # or add whatever you still want to ignore in between the quotes
git pull # will fetch the additional objects

>  So no Hiwi's fault that the images where missing, it's me.
> * We should add a small howto for building the homepage.
>  This should include downloading the stuff via LFS
>  updating them.
> * All LSF-downloaded binaries where added for the commit.
>  That's dangerous, someone will push this stuff sooner or
>  later. Can we do something about this?

What do you mean by added to the commit? In theory, you can only get them if you have LFS installed,
and the repository is set up to commit them via LFS, so there should not be much of a risk to accidentally
commit them directly into the repository.

That said, since the beginning of January the GitLab server runs a hook that doesn’t let you commit
*any* object that is larger than 1 MB without using Git LFS for it. You’ll get a helpful error message pointing
you to Git LFS.