[Dune-devel] DUNE autotools generated files in release tarballs

Ansgar Burchardt Ansgar.Burchardt at tu-dresden.de
Mon Jan 18 18:38:58 CET 2016

Hi,

I'm preparing a new release for dune-grid-glue that should support the
2.3 and 2.4 releases of the core modules (and even 2.2 seems to work).
While doing so, I was wondering if I should just use a tarball
generated with "git archive" or one generated by the autotools "make
dist" target; as far as I remember the latter is done for the core
modules.

However I noticed a problem using the "make dist" tarballs that include
autotools generated files: the ones generated using the 2.4 core
modules fail to build with autotools in a system that has the 2.3 core
modules installed.  So I'm wondering if the autotools macro DUNE uses
are not stable?  That is, is a module built using autotools macros from
DUNE 2.4 expected to built in a DUNE 2.3 environment?  I somehow expect
this not to be the case.

As using "dunecontrol all" and calling the autotools in the DUNE 2.3
environment works fine, I guess it is better to release the "git
archive" tarball that doesn't include the autotools generated files?
This would require users to have autotools installed in order to build
dune-grid-glue, but they likely need them for their own modules anyway.

Ansgar