[Dune-devel] DUNE autotools generated files in release tarballs

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Jan 19 16:10:12 CET 2016

Hi Ansgar,
I would go with "make package_source" offered by CMake to build tarballs.

> So I'm wondering if the autotools macro DUNE uses
> are not stable?  That is, is a module built using autotools macros from
> DUNE 2.4 expected to built in a DUNE 2.3 environment?  I somehow expect
> this not to be the case.

To my knowledge nobody ensured or tested this.

> I guess it is better to release the "git
> archive" tarball that doesn't include the autotools generated files?
> This would require users to have autotools installed in order to build
> dune-grid-glue, but they likely need them for their own modules anyway.

Yes, and it is easier to install Autotools or CMake instead of getting
errors which are difficult to understand.

The method has been developed for use on a high-speed electronic
computer and would be impractical for hand-solution purposes.
                                           [Harlow & Welch 1965]