[Dune-devel] [gsoc2016] Changes to the p4est project

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Thu Mar 10 05:53:32 CET 2016

Hi all,

I have to announce a change regarding gsoc project 2 "Write a grid backend based on the p4est library".
Somewhat surprisingly (to me), a complete prototype has suddenly appeared.  It has been written by
Robert Klöfkorn, Martin Nolte, and Carsten Burstedde, and its state seems to be "quite-advanced-but-not-
really-usable-yet".  The guys have kindly donated the code, and uploaded it at

https://gitlab.dune-project.org/robert.kloefkorn/dune-p4estgrid

Under these circumstances, the old project idea of writing a p4est grid manager from scratch does not
make much sense anymore.  Rather, work should be directed towards getting the prototype up and running,
to modernize its code base a bit, and make sure that it runs reliably and efficiently.  I have therefore
updated the project description accordingly.  I have also added a short list of project-related
junior jobs at http://users.dune-project.org/projects/gsoc2016/wiki/Project_ideas, which should help
get you started.

Enjoy,