[Dune-devel] [GSoC] B-Splines, UG and Proposal Format

Christoph Grüninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Mar 12 09:38:26 CET 2016

Hi Maikel,

> I also mentioned that one might
> look at the project G+mo[1] and evaluate it's codebase,
> performance, purpose and possible integration issues.

I cannot answer this. In case of doubt, you can include it
in your application as an option and work out together
with your mentors. Either before the application deadline
or when beginning with coding.

> Just like Michaël mentioned, I think writing
> a good proposal with a proper time line and so on
> seems like the most difficult part to me currently...

Sure, we know that. Forecasting how long a programming
task will last, is very difficult. Ask my professor how
often I failed my own plans… If the plan sounds realistic,
we are fine with it.

> I am a bit confused about two things: (i) whom do I
> write this proposal (To you? to Google?) and (ii) what
> format should it be in. I can just send you a PDF or a
> text file or similar.

You apply on Google's GSoC site, the will offer an
HTML form you'll have to fill in. I'm not sure about the
exact sections, as they changed their site. Wait until
Monday to get the exact questions. Have a look at old
proposals to get an idea of what they (we) expect.
We will be able to see your proposals, and we will
select students, not Google.
You can share your draft on the mailing list, too, if
you wish. Discussion with us usually leads to better
applications and to projects we are more interested in.
I prefer plain text but we are able to read PDFs.
So technically you are applying to Google, but we will
judge. And Google will tell the students who gets accepted
and who not.

Je n'ai rien contre les étrangers, quelques uns de mes
meilleurs amis
sont des étrangers. Mais ces étrangers là ne sont pas de chez
nous!
[Agecanonix, Astérix - Le cadeau de César]