[Dune-devel] [GSoC] B-Splines, UG and Proposal Format

Maikel Nadolski nadolski at math.fu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 11 08:42:02 CET 2016

Hey,

I already wrote Oliver that my main interest lies currently in
implementing a B-Spline based grid geoemetry. I will look into his
prototype im more detail this weekend. I also mentioned that one might
look at the project G+mo[1] and evaluate it's codebase, performance,
purpose and possible integration issues. That said, I want to emphasize
that I just try to point to alternatives to reinventing things but I am
perfectly fine if you do not want any further dependencies or what so
ever. What do you think?

The other project that caught my attention is the load balancing one! I
checked out UG's repository and look here and there. If I have time I
will try to finish one or both junior jobs associated with it and maybe
I get a better feeling on how to write a proposal for this project.

Ok so far for my thoughts. Just like Michaƫl mentioned, I think writing
a good proposal with a proper time line and so on seems like the most
difficult part to me currently... I looked at the examples[2] in their
FAQ but in their general proposal guide[3] it sounds like a real job
application.
I am a bit confused about two things: (i) whom do I write this proposal
(To you? to Google?) and (ii) what format should it be in. I can just
send you a PDF or a text file or similar.

Maikel

[1] http://gs.jku.at/gismo
[2] http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/proposal-example-1/
[3] http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/writing-a-proposal/