[Dune-devel] GSoC

Srinivas Kumar srinivas.jdi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 10:57:11 CET 2016

*Hi ,*
*My name is Srinivas. I'm a Masters student at the Supercomputer Education
Research Center at Indian Institute of Science. *

*Our center hosts India's fastest supercomputer. I've a masters degree in
Mathematics and I'm currently pursuing a Masters in Computational Science.
In mathematics, I have a done a project in theory of PDE  (distributions,
hyperfunctions,etc.) and learnt about Finite Element Methods (implemented
using C++). I also have worked a lot with MPI, OpenMP, CUDA , Hadoop etc.  *

*I'm interested in the Dynamic Load Balancing project  that has been
offered by your organization. I'm currently implementing the dynamic load
balancing for Breadth-First Search method using MPI. *

*I need to know more about the benchmark code and what exactly has been
done earlier so that I can get clarity about what is expected in this
project. *

*I would love to contribute to this project if given an opportunity.*

*Thanks,*

*Srinivas.K*

*Mentors*:          Bernd Flemisch
*Type*:                Improve grid data structures
*Needed skills*  Intermediate C/C++, MPI programming, reading other
people's code
*Difficulty*:         advanced

*Project description*

The UGGrid class is one of the standard Dune implementations of an
unstructured finite element grid. It delegates most tasks to the UG
<http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/frame/iwrwikiequipment/software/ug>
finite element library, which has a flexible and mature grid
implementation. UGGrid runs on parallel computers, where each processor
only holds a part of the grid. The UG library even allows dynamic load
balancing, where parts of the grid can be moved from one processor to
another. Access to this feature from Dune is flaky, however, and needs code
cleanup, testing, and bugfixing. We have a benchmark code that triggers a
certain sequence of grid movements, which currently only runs on a very low
number of processors. It is the goal of this project to make this benchmark
run with as many processors as possible.

--
its now or never