[Dune-devel] new website

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Sun May 1 21:42:40 CEST 2016

Hi,

Am 01.05.2016 um 19:49 schrieb Christian Engwer:
> Dear all,
>
> I started working a bit on the layout of the new website.While doing
> so, I stumbled upon some issues and questions.
>
> I hope someone can help me...
>
> a) why do we use googleanalytics?
> b) the current theme is based on bootstrap. Does anybody have the
>    config.json for bootstrap? The color scheme is totally broken, in
>    the sense that it does not match to any of the dune colors. I'd
>    like to update the configuration.
> c) is there a strong opinion on left-menu vs. top-menu? I started
>    playing around a bit and think that I would prefer switching to
>    top-menu.
>
> Anyway... I fixed some of the issues the "hard" way. But I'd like to
> clean up the layout further...
@Christian: Thanks for working on this.

One issue that I already disliked about the old website, is that text
is hard to read on high-resolution displays because the site uses the
whole available width. This is even worse now, since the font size is
now smaller as before. Limiting the width and increasing the font size
would improve readability a lot, which brings us to Christians question:

A centered layout with limited width would perhaps look better with a
top-menu.

Looking at all those fancy bootstrap websites it seems that bootstrap
provides support for dynamic layout and limited with, such that
one may not need to do the css fiddling by hand.

Best,
Carsten

(To give some numbers: A common recommendation seems to be to limit
the characters per row to 40-70, maybe up to 80. On my display the
first line on the old website has 141 characters, for the new website
it's 224 characters.)

> Christian

Prof. Dr. Carsten Gräser
Freie Universität Berlin