[Dune-devel] Dune with Visusal Studio 15.4

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Mon Nov 13 23:23:30 CET 2017

Hi Christoph,

> With recent advances in Visual C++ support for recent version of the C++ standard, I was curious and gave it another try. I added the followig lines to config.h.cmake to teach Visual C++ some C++
>

> #ifdef _MSC_VER
> #define and &&
> #define or ||
> #define not !
> #endif
>

> Unfortenatly Dune embraced recent versions of C++ faster then the compiler. I wasn't able to compile dune-common, because I got an error C2833 ('operator decltype' is not a recognized operator or type) in rangeutilities.hh:242.

Not so surprising, as they never claimed to have a better language
support, just a better STL support.

> So, we'll have to wait a little bit longer to get Dune compiled by Visual C++.

I doubt there will be much use in trying to support the MSVC
compiler. What I think would be a viable way, is to support Visual
Studio in the infrastructure and use some other compiler, either ICC
or clang++.

Andreas (Nüßing) made some good progress compiling dune under
Windows. If we follow my sketched route, the "only" thing is that the
libc on Windows is not POSIX complient. But most parts of DUNE don't
make libc calls directly.

Anyway... thanks for trying this out and keeping us up-to-date.