[Dune-devel] Are IdSets persistent?

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Tue Apr 24 16:10:54 CEST 2018

Dear fellow developers,
I recently stumbled upon the question if
the IdSets obtained by grid.globalIdSet()
and grid.localIdSet() are persistent?

To be more precise: Is it guaranteed that
I can store a pointer for the obtained
const-references and reuse it after grid
modification?

Looking at the code it seems that this is fact
true, even for the grid implementations (at least
in dune-grid and dune-alugrid) that create IdSets
on demand. However, I'm unclear if this is
guaranteed.

As far as I can see, the interface documentation
does not comment on this question and I'm not aware
of any discussion on this, but maybe I'm just
forgetful or blind.

Best,
Carsten