[Dune-devel] Google indexing mailing list archives

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Tue Jan 9 14:31:09 CET 2018

Am Mo,  8. Jan 2018, 23:01:14 +0100 schrieb Christian Engwer:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> I'm afraid you must have done something wrong...
>
> When I search google for something like
> "foobar site:lists.dune-project.org/pipermail/dune/"
> I get many hits from out lists...
>
> Not sure what went wrong in your case. Which list where you trying?
> Does it have archives at all?

There _are_ hits from the mailing lists, but it does seem that google prefers
other results.  I'm not a SEO, but not offering https:// immediately comes to
mind as a possible cause.  Technically I don't really see a neccessity to
implement it, since mailman will happily send passwords (or at least reset
tokens) via plain SMTP when asked anyway, but one could argue that it reduces
the attack surface a bit[1].

I may have time to look at this next week after I'm back from holidays, in the
mean time if you have any other clever SEO ideas, preferrably easy to
implement, feel free to suggest them...

Oh, and wasn't there a way to see if Google downranks you for some specific
reasons?

Regards,
Jö.

[1] One could also argue that it increases the attack surface on the webserver
    since it now has deal with SSL in addition to everything else, but
    whatever...  Attack surfaces don't necessarily allow for total ordering
    according to size.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster