[Dune-devel] Request about the /usr/bin/dune filename

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Thu Jan 31 12:34:53 CET 2019

Alright, pending Robert Klöfkorns opinion, I'm gonna attempt a draft
statement.  We should get our move on, since Debian will stop accepting new
packages 2019-02-12[1], and renaming a package counts as a new package if I'm
not mistaken.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/01/msg00008.html

---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---

1. Dune (numerics) does not see a good enough reason to stop dune (ocaml)
   taking the /usr/bin/dune filename.

2. Dune (numerics) does not see a problem in dune (ocaml) using "dune" or
   "libdune" in package names, as long as "ocaml" also appears in the package
   name.

---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---DRAFT---

@Stéphane Glondu: Renaming the package was offered by Anil Madhavapeddy here:
https://lists.dune-project.org/pipermail/dune-devel/2019-January/002432.html
As the (visible) maintainer of Dune (ocaml) in Debian, do you consider this
feasible?  Please let us know if not.

Regards,
Jö.