[Dune-devel] Reduce number of core modules?

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Tue Jun 11 11:44:10 CEST 2019

Hi Christoph,

apologies, but I disagree.  Modules were introduced to enforce a clear
design and structure onto the Dune code, and I think that goal is as
relevant today as it was when we introduced the modules.

> On the other hand it increases work: checking out, building, fixing
> build-system issues gets more tedious with increasing number of modules.

I don't think so:
a) CI has automated lots of that testing, and it currently scales well
b) Our build system is overly complicated, AIUI it a lot of stability
   and speed can be gained by simplifying and modernizing it.
c) Random users should really use distribution packages, and not build
   each and every module themselves.

> So I am proposing (in order with decreasing likelihood):

The only point that I would agree with is not on your list (merge dune-uggrid
into dune-grid). And that one has been officially voted down before.

Best regards,