[Dune-devel] Vote: Required CMake version 3.1 or 3.13?

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Fri Oct 9 09:13:22 CEST 2020

Am 09.10.20 um 09:00 schrieb Christian Engwer:
> For me 3.13 is OK, although I don't have a strong opinion.  There are
> good reasons to raise the cmake version to improve maintainance of the
> buildsystem, while we always have to keep compatibility in mind.
>
> So for the basic decision count me as abstention.
>
> Regarding a revert... this feature is in Dune for 4 months now. So I
> vote against removal, as I don't see any major issues up to now.
>
> For the future, I think Andreas suggestion is good to have a more
> formal way to decide on a version bump, as a gitlab issue might go
> unnoticed.
There've been far more votes when we had a dedicated voting tool
in pre-gitlab times. To a large extend this was replaced by a
less formal request for comment procedure which mostly works great.
But I agree that a formal vote would be better in some situation.

Simply announcing a vote with deadline on the devel-list and using
the thumb up/down feature in MRs/issues would do the job. We just
have to remember this possibility (because we're used to the more
convenient less formal procedure now).

Best,
Carsten