[Dune-devel] Vote: Required CMake version 3.1 or 3.13?

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Fri Oct 16 11:33:42 CEST 2020

Hi,

of course this was a bit unlucky and I generally agree that one should be
rather conservative using build system features.

But I think is was brought up to everyone's attention by posting it on the
mailinglist (I would have missed it otherwise). Addtionally, Andreas brought
up the 18.04 LTS issue, but nobody seemed to have noticed it.

Maybe in March Robert would not even been aware of some colleagues being dependent
on 18.04. I guess what I am trying to say is, that even with a vote, it might happend that
one's vote might turn out wrong 3 month later (due to new facts/collueagues/collaborators).

But with a formal vote, nobody would be able to complain...

I would propose:

- Use votes for version changes
- Be as conservative as possible concerning build systems / compilers (and maybe even other
  dependencies).

It might annoy developers, but will please users.

BTW: My Ubuntu 18.04 LTS laptop is now constantly annoying me by propsing an
upgrade to 20.04 LTS (I am resisting ;). Hence the problem might solve itself
in due time, anyway.

Maybe we could make a release without requiring CMake 3.13? I would assume that might
help a lot.

Markus

Pedettistr. 38, 85072 Eichstätt, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858