[Dune-devel] First candidate for upcoming release 2.8.0 available for testing

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Tue Aug 3 16:55:45 CEST 2021

Hi,

I want to give some feedback on the release candidate:

Setup 1:
- Linux Mint 20 Ulyana 64-bit, Kernel Linux 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64
- GCC 9.3, CMake 3.16.3
- external packages: GMP, QuadMath, TBB, SuperLU, SuiteSparse, ParMETIS,
PkgConfig, Alberta, PTScotch, METIS
- modules: amdis, dune-alugrid, dune-common, dune-foamgrid,
dune-functions, dune-geometry, dune-grid, dune-istl,
dune-localfunctions, dune-typetree, dune-uggrid, dune-vtk

cmake warnings:
- Policy CMP0087 is not set (I think we should fix this in the next release)
- WARNING: could not find module 'dune-python', [...] 'dune-python' is
suggested by dune-foamgrid

c++ warnings:
- dune-uggrid/dune/uggrid/gm/er.cc:1664:50: warning: iteration 4 invokes
undefined behavior [-Waggressive-loop-optimizations]
- dune-uggrid/dune/uggrid/gm/er.cc:1666:40: warning: iteration 4 invokes
undefined behavior [-Waggressive-loop-optimizations]
- dune-uggrid/dune/uggrid/parallel/dddif/debugger.cc:568:14: warning:
ignoring return value of ‘int scanf(const char*, ...)’, declared with
attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
- dune-uggrid/dune/uggrid/parallel/dddif/overlap.cc:727:22: warning: '0'
flag used with ‘%p’ gnu_printf format [-Wformat=]

C++ warnings (-Wall):
- dune-uggrid: 100+ warnings about "comparison of integer expressions of
different signedness", "var. maybe used uninitialized in this function",
"static <function> defined but not used", "variable <var> set but not
used",...
- dune-common/dune/common/reservedvector.hh:70:5: note: variable
tracking size limit exceeded with ‘-fvar-tracking-assignments’, retrying
without (this I get a lot, but don't know what to do about it)

Setup 2:
- GCC 11.1, CXX_MAX_STANDARD=20

c++ errors:
-
dune-grid/dune/grid/onedgrid/../onedgrid/onedgridleveliterator.hh:39:74:
error: invalid declarator before ‘*’ token
-
dune-grid/dune/grid/onedgrid/../onedgrid/onedgridleveliterator.hh:39:74:
error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
- dune-grid/dune/grid/onedgrid/onedgridfactory.hh:58:5: error:
template-id not allowed for destructor
- dune-grid/dune/grid/onedgrid/onedgridfactory.cc:33:1: error:
template-id not allowed for destructor

c++-warnings:
- dune-grid/dune/grid/io/file/dgfparser/dgfparser.cc:921:14: warning:
arithmetic between floating-point type ‘double’ and enumeration type
‘Dune::DuneGridFormatParser::orientation_t’ is deprecated
- dune-grid/dune/grid/io/file/dgfparser/dgfparser.cc:947:30: warning:
arithmetic between floating-point type ‘double’ and enumeration type
‘Dune::DuneGridFormatParser::orientation_t’ is deprecated

So, maybe we should fix the onedgrid errors that occur with -std=c++20.
It is easy to fix. There just the template parameters on the constructor
and destructor must be removed. Most of the warnings come from the
dune-uggrid module. There is still a lot of cleanup necessary. This is
not a quick fix.

Best regards,
Simon