[Dune-devel] Alberta: State of the union?

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Mon Feb 8 13:43:33 CET 2021

Hi Christoph,

For me, the Alberta grid and grid reader was some years ago a reason why
to move to dune as FEM basis. We, in our group, have developed long ago
a framework on top of an old Alberta fork and have developed many tools
for working with this grid and the Alberta grid files. This we didn't
want to give up when developing a new framework or switching to
something else. So, the Alberta GridManager was an argument for us to
consider DUNE. Nowadays, I would also prefer some other grid
implementations instead. But, for example, there is no other grid
implementation in dune-grid directly supporting (unstructured) surface
grids, or unstructured periodic grids. So you have to switch to an
external grid module.

There is also the AlbertaReader supporting the alberta grid format,
including the ability to directly read boundary IDs from the files and
store its directly in the grid. (this also works with gmsh format but
needs more manual steps to read in that information)

So, in summary: In my opinion the Alberta Grid/GridReader are still
used. If we would move it out of dune-grid into a separate module (that
would not be maintained either) it would simply die, since then maybe
no-one feels responsible for fixing the small (cmake) bugs, or
compatibility issues. Now, when it is in dune-grid, it needs to be
working, it is in the tests and is available in all the local setups.
So, if something breaks, an issues will be opened and mostly small bugs
are fixed. A cmake cleanup is on its way and simplifies the
configuration slightly. (But still it is required to link
dimension-specific libraries.)

Maybe we could update the documentation, mark it as "not maintained", or
even as deprecated. But if deprecated, we have to list alternatives. In
dune-grid there is no alternative. ALUGrid is an external module. UGGrid
does not support some of the features I would choose AlbertaGrid for.

Best,
Simon

--
Dr. Simon Praetorius