[Dune-devel] Python/Build system meeting: Input wanted

Dedner, Andreas A.S.Dedner at warwick.ac.uk
Wed May 26 10:46:18 CEST 2021

Hi,
I would like to discuss how to proceed with the next release and the new Python bindings.
Perhaps we need another developer meeting?

I see a few options:
(a) We release 2.8 with the current master (I would like to do this really quickly if that is the decision taken).
      After the release, the new python approach is merged.
(b) We merge these branches now. Since this is a more significant change we would then wait for a few month
      until releasing 2.8, i.e., end of the year.
(c) We decide not to merge this at all - or someone suggest some major modifications.

In all three cases there is a further question: should the Python bindings be turned on by default?

I've already got the first email from Gitlab that in one of the modules the branch can't be merged anymore - with 10 modules with a corresponding MR this could become painful quite soon, so I would appreciate not to have to wait for too long for a decision (or at least to know which parts are contentious).

I'm happy to meet up with anyone interested during the next weeks for example - let me know if that would be helpful. Otherwise, discussions on any of the details of the changes should be done in
https://gitlab.dune-project.org/core/dune-common/-/merge_requests/960
That MR also contains an explanation of what is done - if something is unclear let me know.

Greetings
Andreas