[Dune-devel] vX.Y.Z.alpha tags

Dedner, Andreas A.S.Dedner at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Nov 26 09:30:56 CET 2021

Here are the version number guidelines: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/
2.8.0.1 is allowed (otherwise I couldn't upload it to pypi anyway).
There is a 'post-release' 2.8.0post1 one can use.
If a tag v2.8.0.post1 is less confusing, then I'm happy with that. We would also be happy with a
tag like 'pypi2.8.0.1' or we can setup a pypi/2.8.0.1 branch if the tag is somehow the issue.

All we're asking is for a mechanism to provide upgrades to the pypi packages that allow us to tell users for are now working with a buggy package to simply run
   pip install --upgrade
to get a bugfix in the same way we would tell C++ users on the release branch to do git pull if we fixed a bug.
We would have preferred to have a well-defined state in the repositories to do that if possible.
Andreas